Obama's executive order on deferral of deportation and work permit for illegal parents of US born children and green card holders

You see, under American law, an American citizen, after the age of 18 (and meeting other strict criteria like having enough income), is allowed to sponsor parents to immigrate to the United States, but we have a situation in which many illegal immigrants have given birth in America (they are sometimes also called as anchor babies by many legal experts) and when their parents are deported, either the kids should leave with their parents or they are left in the country in the foster care system or with other family members.  We all know that youth in Hispanic communities are already under-performing academically and if they are without their parents, they are more likely to take up crime, drop out of school, and basically become a huge burden on the society.  That is why President Barack Obama has decided to let the parents live legally and work in the USA with the following requirements (the program is called Deferred Action for Parental Accountability or DAPA):
  1. Parent (by birth or adoption.
  2. Must have a child who is a US citizen (born prior to November 20, 2014) or permanent resident (green card holder)
  3. Have lived illegally continuously in the USA since January 1, 2010.
  4. Pass a background check -- a few misdemeanors are okay but felonies are not.
You will need to provide documentation to support the relationship so if you are a father who has abandoned his kid(s) it is time to reconcile with the mother and the child and move in with them.  This is going to be an important requirement at least till you get your papers.  You do not have to marry the mother of the child but will have to live with them. Once you have the documents ready, simply do the paperwork with the USCIS and you will not be deported, get a work permit, and in some states, even have a driver's license.  You will not be able to leave the US without applying for advanced parole, and cannot sponsor other family members to come to USA, but can live and work legally.
Newer Post Older Post Home