Implications of owing taxes in native country on naturalization in USA

The way in which civil lawsuits in a permanent resident's native country (or any other country) do not affect naturalization, tax problems have no bearing on naturalization in the United States.  It is important to remember, though, that if you have civil or criminal charges pending against you in a country and visit it (or a country with which this country has an extradition treaty), the United States Government will be unable to help if you are arrested and prosecuted.  The most the State Department can do is to help you find an attorney or arrange fund transfers from your family.  So it is best to deal with these legal problems even if you can naturalize in the US, unless of course you never plan to leave the USA.