Join US citizen husband with drug conviction

Nazia writes, "More than 20 years ago I was convicted of a drug related crime for which I spent a few weeks in jail.  I also did not disclose it for my visitor visa application but now I have married an American citizen and would like to relocate to the United States since he does not like living here in a Muslim country.  Is it possible for me to get a green card to live in the United States?"

Hiding a critical piece of information -- like a drug conviction -- from the United States Government is never looked upon kindly by the decision makers at the USCIS.  I wonder, though, why you want to disclose it now when you did not disclose it before (it is the right thing to do, of course).  It does not appear that you will be able to get a visa to the United States and definitely no green card for you.  What you may want to do is to hire an excellent immigration attorney and ask your husband to make contact with politicians in his state in the hope that an exception can be made in his case.

Newer Post Older Post Home