Lost green card after filing N-400

Chen writes, "In one of the strangest cases, within days of filing my application for naturalization, I seem to have misplaced my green card.  What should I do now?  I feel so stupid that now I have to go through the whole process of replacing it and paying all that money."

In matters of immigration, the officers of USCIS are following a process and any deviation from that simply delays things or leads to undue questioning.  Unless there is a compelling reason for you not to spend the money, I suggest that you file USCIS Form I-90.  Hopefully, your card will arrive before the interview, but if not, at least you will have the paperwork at the time of interview.  Even though the USCIS knows very well that you are a permanent resident, you will be asked to show it at the time of interview.  It is also nice to have it in case you need to take an unexpected trip overseas.  A lot of people think that their naturalization will go smoothly but there are instances when delays do occur.