Apply for naturalization if entered the US illegally?

Amanda writes, "I first came to the United States illegally but became legal with the Reagan Amnesty and have had a green card since then.  I am eligible for US citizenship and have no criminal history, but I am afraid that my illegal entry and status in the past could be a reason for denial based on moral character.  What do you think?"

When you were granted permanent resident status under the amnesty, basically all your crimes were forgiven.  Of course, you will have to disclose your unlawful behavior and status, but because the law forgave you, the application for citizenship is not affected.  Go ahead and apply for naturalization like anyone else, and if you are asked questions about your illegal past, you must answer truthfully in your application and during the interview.

Newer Post Older Post Home