Reentry permit for green card holder if leaving USA for more than one year

Tito writes, "I have recently been approved for permanent resident status and for personal/family reasons I must return to my native country for more than a year but definitely less than 2 years.  Can I get a re-entry permit and what should I tell them?"

While living abroad as a green card holder is generally a bad idea, if you must, you will be approved as long as you can show a valid reason, like a sick family member you need to attend to.  While you are here you must file USCIS Form I-131 re-entry permit application and clearly state the reasons.  When you arrive at the airport, show your passport, green card, and the re entry permit, and while you maybe questioned about such a long stay, you will be allowed entry into the United States.