Can I change F2 to F1 status?

Natalie writes, "I entered the US on a F2 visa with my husband but after getting bored at home, I decided to pursue a masters degree.  I have already been accepted in a university and have the paperwork.  Can I change my status to F1 within the US or I have to return to my home country?"

If you have been in lawful status (still married to the same man, never with an expired visa), you can file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires and your passport will be affixed with the new visa.

Newer Post Older Post Home