Apply for naturalization if heavy traveler

A reader asks if she should apply for citizenship if she travels extensively on business and leisure even though she maintains a home in the US and calls it her only home.  She says, "This year alone with less than half the year over, I have been out of the country for 120 days."

Well, according to the rules, you need to be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the past 5 years, so if you still cannot satisfy this requirement, you may need to cut back on you travel accordingly before applying.  Alternatively, unless travel with a green card forces you to apply for visas (one of best part of being a US citizen is the ability travel visa free to many countries), then, just enjoy your life and apply for naturalization only when you are ready to retire from travel.

Newer Post Older Post Home