How will undocumented immigrants be treated before RPI status?

Previously, I analyzed what status undocumented aliens will have before their RPI status is approved under the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill that would eventually give everyone a Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) legal status.  The interesting case is what would happen to all the deportations and removals in process before a person gets legalized but the law is already in place.  Will the American laws be enforced?  The good news is that all you have to do when asked by an officer about your immigration status is that you are eligible for RPI.  There is no need to show any documents or prove that you have even applied.  You cannot be arrested or deported as long as you make this claim.  And if you are still arrested, you can actually sue back the US Government and force American taxpayers to provide you with a free attorney.

How can US citizen sponsor sibling for green card?

The difference between an American citizen sponsoring spouse and children, and bringing a brother or sister to the United States as a legal permanent resident is that in the former situation, there is no wait time.  Depending on the nationality of the sibling, the wait time can be years.  So the process is actually a very slow one.  So this is what you do.  Get hold of the USCIS Form I-130 and fill it out. 


Obviously, you need to prove that you are an American citizen (a birth certificate for native borns and a certificate of naturalization for those naturalized) and other than that prove that you two are related as siblings (if you are biologically related then just the birth certificates of both of you will do the trick but if there are complications like step parents and/or adoption, you will need to use a combination of marriage and birth certificates to build a case that you two are siblings).

With these documents and a check, mail the packet to USCIS and wait for it to be approved.  On approval, the Government mails a packet with bunch of forms to both you and your sibling.  Fill up those forms, mail them out, go for an interview at the US embassy, get approved, and then simply catch a flight to America.  Your sibling is now a green card holder.

How can a US citizen bring foreigner spouse to USA?

My personal advice is that if possible, you actually have the marriage in the United States.  The person can travel on a K-1 visa and when the marriage happens in the US, everything seems a lot more legitimate and there are fewer documents to be translated.  Obviously, not every couple wants to do that, so there are options.

If the marriage happens overseas and you would like your spouse to be able to join you in the United States fairly quickly, it is better to file an application for a K-3 visa because these visas typically process much faster.  The net result is that the spouse can then be in the US while the process of green card takes it own sweet time.  If the spouse has children from another relationship, those unmarried children also get K-4 visas.  Once the whole family is in the US, they can simply wait for their approval of an I-130 petition.  Once that is done, they file an adjustment of status petition on I-485 that leads to a green card or permanent residency.

If the marriage happens outside the US and you are willing to wait overseas: In that case file Form I-130 and wait for it to be approved.  Yes, it takes somewhat longer, but once the spouse has the interview in the consulate overseas, the approval is basically a green card.  You will get an actual card in the mail at the US address a few weeks later.