Get RPI visa if living overseas after self deportation


Many people who left the United States on their own after living here legally or illegally and being unable to legalize themselves to permanent status are wondering if they can apply for the Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) legal status under the Obama Immigration Reform bill.  The resounding answer is yes, because the goal of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (BSEOIM) is uniting families (you should have a spouse and/or children who are either US citizens or permanent residents).  As long as an alien would be eligible to be reunited with family members in the US under current immigration laws, it really makes no sense to keep them separated.  If you are one of those former resident who called America home, studied or worked here, but currently live overseas, get ready to line up at the American consulate near you (just kidding; chances are that you might be able to do most of the paperwork online), appear for an interview (yeah, the line might not be so long, but this time, be prepared to go through security), and then get approved so that you can join your family members in the United States of America.  Accordingly, this is a good time to start preparing your documents to show that you lived in the States in the past, broke no laws, and left voluntarily.
Newer Post Older Post Home