Should I submit the I601A waiver or wait for immigration reform?

One of the great provisions for family members of US citizens to legalize an illegal family member is the so-called I-601A form that allows them to wait for their turn in the United States, leave briefly for their native country for an interview at the consulate, and then simply reenter the United States legally.  However, if the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 becomes law, these undocumented aliens will gain a legal Registered Provision Immigrant (RPI) status without having to leave the country, and depending on the age at which they entered the country, receive their green cards in 5 or 10 years.  While each situation is unique, my recommendation will be to still pursue the waiver of grounds of inadmissibility process because then the alien becomes a green card holder right away, while the probability of Obama Immigration Reform becoming law is extremely remote, and even if it does, it will be years before the approvals start to roll in.

Newer Post Older Post Home