- Maintain continuous presence for 10 years.
- Pay taxes each year, as per the law, like anyone else.
- Work in the US regularly. Alternatively, you can have someone else provide financial guarantee for you in case you are a housewife. The job has to be within the United States, so you cannot relocate overseas as an expatriate for your company.
- Knowledge of US Civics and English. This will be tested on the lines of what happens at the naturalization interview.
- Pay a $1,000 penalty, in addition to standard application fee for permanent resident that maybe applicable at that time.
Green card process after RPI status
While receiving the Registered Prospective Immigrant status will give all the privileges of a legal resident in America to illegal immigrants, it is a good idea to get the permanent resident status because that is a must-take step on the pathway to US citizenship. Below are the requirements to get permanent residency in the United States for undocumented aliens who will take advantage of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013: